Veterans Helping Veterans...
Every day, Heartland has the distinct honor of providing hundreds of U.S.
military veterans with hospice care. Different kinds of trauma can be experienced
by different veterans in different wars. We've learned a critical lesson: a
patient's military service history helps determine which kind of personalized,
compassionate care we should provide.
No one understands the questions and concerns of a U.S. military veteran
more than a fellow veteran or active duty personnel. That's why Heartland has
developed the Veteran-to-Veteran Volunteer program, in which volunteers
with similar backgrounds can meet with and assist in the care of U.S. military
Our veteran volunteers enrich the lives of our veteran patients by:
• Listening to veterans as they tell their life stories
• Educating and assisting patients on how to access veteran benefits
• Participating in pinning ceremonies and presenting recognition
• Providing support to families and loved ones
Veteran volunteers are important to Heartland because the potential for a
better match of patients and volunteers based on similar areas of interest and
background is increased.
• Veterans share a common language, and code of conduct and honor.
• The camaraderie between veterans can enhance their civilian social roles.
• When one veteran talks to another, stoicism and secrecy may dissolve.
• Sharing supports life-review and healing.
All volunteers receive training regarding the philosophy of hospice, the role
of the volunteer, specific needs of veterans, and communicating with hospice
patients and their loved ones. Volunteer hours are flexible and scheduled
according to the volunteer's availability.
For more information, call:
Heartland Hospice - Stevens Point
3233A Business Park Drive
Stevens Point, WI 54482-8861